Athirappally and Vazhachal most beautiful waterfalls in Kerala, India. Athirappally Falls, is situated in the border of Ayyampuzha Panchayat in Aluva Taluk of Ernakulam District and Athirappally Panchayat in Chalakudy Taluk of Thrissur District in Kerala. The splendorous, 80-feet high and 330-feet wide, which originates from the upper reaches of the Western Ghats at the entrance to the Sholayar ranges. Athirapally falls in Kerala have rightfully earned the title of being the Niagara Falls of India.
Vazhachal Falls is situated in Athirappally Panchayath of Thrissur district in Kerala on the southwest coast of India. Located on the west-flowing Chalakudy River near the Vazhachal Forest Division and at the edge of the Sholayar ranges, it is just 5 km from entrance of Athirappally Falls.
Daily jungle safari trips are organized by Thrissur District Tourism Promotion Council with Athirappally Destination Management Council from Chalakudy to Malakkappara.
Some of the major films with scenes around the falls are :
- The fall is featured in old Malayalam movie Ponnapuram Kotta, specially the song “valliyoor kaavile”, starring Prem Nasir, Vijayasree.
- A major portion of the 1986 Tamil movie Punnagai Mannan was shot near the falls, the falls itself playing a role in it. It made the falls so popular in Tamil Nadu that it got the nickname “Punnagai Mannan Falls”.
- The falls were featured in Mani Ratnam’s Bollywood film Dil Se.., starring Shahrukh Khan, Manisha Koirala, and Preity Zinta, and featuring the song “Jiya jale”.
- The falls are also famous as a site location for “Narumugaye Narumugaye”, a song from the Tamil film Iruvar, acted by Mohanlal and actress Aishwarya Rai.
- This waterfall is also a major location for songs like “Behne de” and most scenes in the Hindi film Raavan and Tamil film Raavanan.
- The song “Adada Mazhaida” from Paiyaa featuring Karthi and Tamannaah was shot in this location.
- The song from Kannathil Muthamittal of the same name was shot here.
- The song “Kurukku Siruthavale” from Mudhalvan starring Arjun and Manisha Koirala, and “Chalo Chalain Mitwa” from its 2001 remake Nayak, starring Anil Kapoor and Rani Mukerji
- The song “Sunta hai tera khuda” from Pukar, starring Anil Kapoor
- The song “Achi lagti ho” from Kuch Naa Kaho, Sirf Tum, starring Sanjay Kapoor and Sushmita Sen Songs from Saaya (2003), starring John Abraham
- A scene from Madras Cafe starring John Abraham
- A few scenes in the Hindi movie Agyaat
- A scene from the Tamil movie Villu
- The song “Rosappoo chinna rosappoo” from Suryavamsam
- “Arjuna Arjuna”, a song featuring Sarathkumar and Namitha in the movie Aei, was shot here.
- The song “Baarish” and climax scenes from Yaariyan (2014)
- The song “Oru kannil vegam” from Samar (2013)
- The song “Oh kamini” and a scene from Rang Rasiya
- The Telugu movie Brindavanam (2010)
- The song “Egire Mabbullona” from Happy (2006), Telugu and Malayalam
- The song “Ayyo Ayyo Dhanayya” from Ready (2008)
- Scenes from the Tamil movie Alex Pandian
- The song “Aaayi re aayi re khushi” from Khushi (2003, Hindi), starring Kareena Kapoor
- The title song of the Hindi movie Chura Liyaa Hai Tumne
- The song “Vaana Chinukulu” from the Telugu movie Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu
- The English movie Before the Rains (2007)
- The English movie Pirate’s Blood (2008)
- Scenes from the Malayalam movie Cousins
- Scenes and a song from Baahubali, India’s biggest motion picture, a 2015 Tamil/Telugu bilingual movie
- The Tamil movie Puli (2015)
- “Rock On Bro”, a song from Janatha Garage (2016, Telugu)